Successfully completed tasks and projects
Thomas Pluch is leading transformation projects in family owned business of the 1rst, 2 nd or 3 rd generation.
His client companies do have a size of 20-250 employees and a turnover of 3-20 m€.
With the developed PLUCH Interim Management concept, which is looking at the organisation in a holistic way, he is securing a lasting transformation effect of a company even beyond his personal presence.
Within an entire transformation process he will work with the family business for a period of 3-5 years, with intensified support during crisis situations followed by a step-by-step development of the organization in the frame of regular, weekly or by-weekly support by the Interim Manager.
Based on the Pluch Interim Management concept, please find hereunder examples of mandat’s with our customers:
Crisis Management – Turnaround
Development of a short- and mid-term strategy for the turnaround
- Strategy development and mid-term objectives for all business units in the Special Equipment Construction Industry including a market- and product study, the analysis of the customer’s portfolio, to get focused and to build a pro-active business approach.
- Development of a detailed strategy for each business unit in the Electronic and Automation Engineering, Analysis and alignment based on competences and strength and in line with the selected, overall strategy for the company.
- Development of a long-term strategy for a Technical Services company through focus on strategic industrial market segments, taking into account the cyclical, economic situation of the markets, strengthening a regional service structure and broadening the offered services.
Organisational changes for cost reduction during turnaround situations: example Technical Services
- Optimization of Support functions (IT, Facility management, Accountancy, HR, Business development) in the frame of a turnaround, significant reduction of the internal cost structure while supporting a double-digit growth of the company.
- Closure of business activities as no sustainable business model for the future.
- Simplification and acceleration of internal processes for all business units. Focus on profitable services, reduction of headcounts to reduce the cost structure where necessary while supporting the growth of the company overall.
- Preparation for cyclical growth periods in Technical services through the reduction of fix costs and the development of preferred partnerships with external suppliers.
First Process improvements to increase profitability during turnarounds
- Improvements on production/ automation industry: Analysis and change of the machinery park footprint to increase available areas for the manufacturing, to gain in flexibility, to increase significantly the storing and shipment areas. Internalise a formerly externalized product range into the client’s manufacturing.
- Improvement on profitability of single business units: Implementation of a financially competent person, development of adapted controlling tools to minimize risks on pricing and price calculation.
- Improvement of internal communication: Engagement of the employees through a regular and transparent communication to every team to strengthen a decentralized and flexible organization.
- To support a short-term profitability improvement: Implementation of a sales forecast, definition of short-term sales objectives, improve transparency and understanding of costs for all employees.
First Steps to enter into organisational development during turnaround
- Mid-term development of the organization by selecting from inhouse, potential candidates for a new management team to support the transformation process and to start building a new decentralized organization.
- Enforce shared responsibility with the 2nd management level of a new organization, develop shared company objectives, breakdown by business unit, implementation of business plans, introduction of tools to improve the overview following the concept “beyond the budget” (dynamic objectives)
Value and profitability improvement
Improve sales processes and accelerate growth
- Key Account Management food company: implementation of change within the sales process, develop from a passive distributor sales process an active, customer-focused key account management to fully support customers, while integrating the administrative, front-end sales activities in the most customer-oriented way.
- Improvement of the selling process in project business: Identify synergies in between sales activities and build a pro-active sales culture. Implementation of weekly sales- and project meetings to better coordinate the incoming order and billing process, focus on customers or accounts instead of single projects only.
- Structured offering including options in the Special Equipment Construction Industry: Give overview of projects in the different technical areas, develop options and alternative solutions to improve overall cost and price situation and to increase the signature rate.
- Product offers in Technical Services: Identify the preferred service offers following feedback from customers, combine the service offers with an intelligent spare part management, start of a new customer-hotline and a guaranteed reaction time with a new pricing policy for such services.
- Restructuring of a service offer in Equipment Engineering: Build a new front office as primary customer contact, define the internal process for execution and develop first ideas on adequate service packages for maintenance, troubleshooting services and other services.
- Strict internal coordination and improved customer orientation in a business unit of Automation: Improvement of the on-time delivery rate based on realistic planning and coordination of all delivery dates. Improvement of customer satisfaction rate AND important improvement of the internal credibility and discipline to keep on promised delivery schedules.
Improvement of internal processes and support functions
- Strategic Purchasing in Special Equipment Construction Industry: Implementation of clear budgets for purchasing the materials as well as following the As-Is versus Planned Status on such budgets to better control the costs, development and execution of a purchasing strategy to reduce dependencies on single suppliers and risks, increase competition and flexibility of resources.
- Independent Warehousing Management in the Food Industry: Restructure the warehousing by supplier (approx. 2000 articles), integrate the dispatching into the warehouse management and organize the warehousing footprint following rotation rates.
- Analyze and modify an ERP System: Improvement on working time registration for orders to increase visibility on the profitability of single orders/ projects.
- Step-by-step change management on an ERP in the Electronic and Automation Industry: Integration of the Sales-, Purchasing-, Manufacturing and accounts receivable process into the ERP system.
- Enlarged utilization of the ERP systems to actively support the ordering process in the Equipment Engineering Industry: Utilization of the ERP systems throughout the whole process from order incoming, the different manufacturing steps to the final invoicing. Utilization by all functions and business units across the company.
Organizational development, company culture and personnel development
- Improve internal collaboration and motivation of employees: Move all employees to new office spaces to improve internal collaboration and enhance team spirit, implementation of transparency on manufacturing status to smoothen the overall process, reducing waiting time and enhance utilization of resources while calming down work and material flows. Significant improvements on productivity made.
- Introduction of individual and collective bonus system to enhance motivation and focus in Special Equipment Construction Industry: Starting to implement a shadow bonus system to evaluate KPI’s and allocate tasks to single teams and persons, assuring transparent communication to the accountable managers and high potentials when implementing the bonus system based on transparent KPI’s.
- Change the Meeting culture in a Technical Service Company: Definition and implementation of changes to improve on internal communication and the efficiency of meetings, reduce the number of information meetings and increase discussion and decision meetings.
- Introduction of a 360° Feedback Loop within a Technical Service Company: Development and implementation of a documented, software-based personnel development tool to evaluate managers and employees using a 360° evaluation.
- Defined training schedule for every employee in the Equipment Engineering Industry to increase the quality of products: Theoretical and practical trainings on products such as measurement equipment incl. the specifications of such equipment to comply with the standards of the food, the pharmaceutical and the breeding industry. Implementation of an efficient control system to measure the quality and effectiveness of maintenance and other services provided to customers on such equipment.
- Clear allocation of management duties in the manufacturing of customized equipments: Implementation of a competencies matrix to better manage and allocate resources and to actively train and develop single employees, introduction of productivity tools to better utilize capacities, increase productivity while reducing the overall stress level for all.
- Build a new management team within the Business Unit Electronic: to actively support the chosen business strategy and to help implementing a transparent and autonomous company culture.
Improvements on internal, technical processes
- Increase production capacity and flexibility in a production site: Enlarge the manufacturing capacity with a second site, allocate clear functions and tasks to each of the two production sites, identify bottle-necks in production and potential scope for outsourcing to stabilize production flows and output quantities.
- Process improvement in the Special Equipment Construction Industry: Implementation of a clear process flow in the engineering process, clarification of specification, analysis and documentation within CAD software as a 3D model, implementation of hold points and validation steps prior to execution, development of project management skills to lead actively the overall project execution.
- Technical Services in the Equipment Engineering Industry: Planning, coordination and structured documentation of service activities to actively support customers and to reduce customer complaints.
- Process Improvement on Technical Services and claim management in the Special Equipment Construction Industry: Coordination of Technical Service and Claim management, clarification of process flow for the service and claim tickets, reduction of costs of service activities at customers and improvement of customer satisfaction and retention.
Process improvements in Finance and Controlling
- Development and Implementation of Controlling Tools in the Special Equipment Construction: Implementation of turnover and cost as-is/ to-be comparison, signature rate, execution tracking, production planning, management of receivables and accounts payables, absence rate, project planning for special projects, defined cost calculation and pricing policy
- Implementation of a CRM System and definition of KPI’s (key performance indicator): Implementation of a BI tool to visualize KPI’s in a simplified way to improve the overview and transparency for the management team. For out-of-the-office usage, installation of access at distance especially for sales people to improve customer data entry in CRM
Continued organisational development during autonomy to shape the future:
- Implementation of a newly defined OKR system in a company for Technical Services in the Equipment Engineering Industry: Definition and introduction of an OKR (Objectives and Key Results) system to support a decentralized and agile organization.
- Implementation team development and networking through SQP (Solution – Quality – Partnership): development of simple solutions to improve internal processes and reduce risks on project execution, while enhancing team spirit and networking across business fields.
- Build an autonomous leadership culture to ease and lighten the necessity of input of the owner family.
- Development of an employee centered company in Technical Services: Definition and development of a concept to enhance employees loyality to the company as well as employer branding and attractiveness.
Preparation and implementation of a succession
- Step-by-step takeover of a leadership responsibility in Electronic and automation industry: Targeted takeover within the frame of a structured plan from the Interim Manager to the young successor of the founder family and increase of independency on the tasks week-by-week.
- Coaching of single family members in Mechanical Engineering: Active coaching of the managing director, the chosen, young successor and the involved stakeholders of the owner family.
- Couching of a succession in Special Equipment Construction: Introduction of the potential successor in a first management role with regular reviews and support and systematic preparation for the next steps.
Development and introduction of new business models and innovative, new products
- Structured product planning and development in Special Equipment Construction Industry: Long- and mid-term product development roadmap instead of ad-hoc developments, alignment and selection of a new product pipeline to answer to customer needs and reduction on features customers didn’t request to reduce product cost. Development of a higher digitalization content in products within the long-term product roadmap.
- Structured planning for product authorization and release in the formalized fire protection system manufacturing: Definition and implementation of a long-term product portfolio development roadmap incorporating actual legal requirements and qualification to secure the long-term markets.
- New business model in automation: Concept how to gather and increase engineering knowledge and know how to start business with robotics in project business for small sized companies.
- Development and introduction of a software and hydraulic-based control system: External development of a software-based control system as well as development of a standardized hydraulic control system to simplify and customize the utilization of products.
- Fully automated manufacturing of existing machinery park: Concept how to integrate the usage of robotics to support ergonomics with heavy weight transportation of single pieces within the manufacturing process and preparation of working in shift to increase production capacity.
Digital Solutions and digital business models
- Fully automated manufacturing as well as internet sales for automated cabinets: Feasibility study on a fully automated manufacturing line starting with a customized products ordered and sold through an internet platform.
>> Successfully completed tasks and projects
>> CV and career path – summary
>> International Assignments, Professional Development, competences and skills
>> Industry Experiences